Once we got on the road, we were planning to stop for a big stock up trip for fruit and snacks as well as gas for the drive. We weren't sure what kind of stores we'd see traveling through the backcountry of Ontario, so we decided to stop at Walmart. Little did we know there were Walmarts right on the other side of the border!
I'd chosen Sault Ste. Marie as our crossing point because of the opportunity to see the Soo Locks. We can watch movies and read books about it all day long but to see it in action I think is a priceless learning opportunity. This is a different kind of park as it's completely run by the CCC and the Army. We went to the visitor's center first to see if there were any good displays or movies to introduce the concept, but the movie was way outdated and a little too history detailed, so we decided to walk over to the viewing platform to take a look. As we were walking up a huge ship was leaving and another was just about to come in.
Here is that ship just as it's coming in:
And here it is as it's just about to go out:
All this happened in a matter of 10 minutes. We stayed to watch a tour boat with a few smaller private boats going the other direction too. What an amazing engineering marvel to see up close!
Crossing the border was a breeze this year! Of course, the crossing agent didn't ask me about pepper spray this time! Within about 2 hours we were setting up our spot at Chutes Provincial Park. I'd chosen this park only as a stop over on our way to a more popular park that I didn't think we could drive to in one day. The park was really beautiful and our spot was huge! The kids showed Grammie just how fast we can set up our tent and be ready to go! Next we went to Grammie's cabin to check her and Laney in as well as have a nice, fresh meal she'd ordered ahead.
Our dinner was spectacular! We all had hand cut french fries and fresh pickering - the kids had battered and Grammie and I had blackened. Laney thinks we should make those french fries for Dad sometime! Unfortunately, I forgot to have our host take a picture of all of us.
After she finished, Ryan grabbed the camera again for a few shots. She's getting much better!
Once we were all finished we all headed back to our campsite to cut and store all the fresh fruit to divide between our coolers. Grammie would be traveling with a different kid each day so they both would need some snacks along the way! Once Grammie and Laney left, the other two took showers and we headed to bed. Ryan performed a short fox ninja show before we made up some stories.
These two requested to have stories about a tiger and cougar who are best friends whenever they are together. As I'm telling them these stories, I am reminded of all the stories my dad used to tell me and Chris about two characters called Hop-a-long and PieFace. I wish I could remember some of them! My cougar and fox stories surely aren't as interesting, but they both hang onto every word. My apologies to the writers of Lion King as I blatantly stole one of their plot lines for mine.
With a promise to tell chapters 4 and 5 in the morning, Brayden and Ryan are asleep within 30 seconds. This park is so unbelievably quiet! Once I slide into my sleeping bag I believe I'm out in less than 10 seconds! Dave just rolls his eyes at this fall asleep gift Ryan and I have!
No comments:
Post a Comment