I had some writing and editing of pictures to finish, so I got up pretty early while there were bunnies, chipmunks and birds hopping hopefully all around me. Definitely a more acceptable kind of wildlife at our campsite! Once the kids were up we were out of there within 30 minutes again. We're getting pretty good at this!
We had a long drive again this morning so the kids watched "Night at the Museum" getting ready for our visit to New York in a week. Most of our drive was on mountain backroads which seems to be really affecting my shoulder. I've been trying to relax more when driving, but it sure is difficult on those winding roads! At some point we entered into New York, but I have no idea when as there was no sign!
Instead of going directly to the campground, the kids opted for a visit a little bit out of the way at Fly Creek Cider Mill. Their eyes lit up as we walked inside and were told they could sample everything that was out. They got to work trying salsas, dips, marinades, cheese, apples, peanut brittle and fudge. I limited them to one sample of fudge and they tried their hardest to negotiate for a purchase with our rendevous with Grammie coming up.
Next we went upstairs to learn just how their cider is made. It was super interesting for all of us as we've never even been close enough to a place we can pick apples in the fall. Their harvest is in just a month and the equipment they use is right there in the middle of the store all run with a water wheel and lots of belts. The engine is so old it still uses kerosene and was made by the company that eventually became John Deere. They also use tractors they use from way back then for hauling and farm work.
Outside there were ducks to feed and of course once we saw it we just had to sample the cider float! The consensus was it was tasty, but a root beer float is much better.



Leaving Pennsylvania in the morning we traded the Allegheny Mountains for the Catskills at our campground on the eastern edge of the forest. The campground was huge with tons of people camping and in the day use area.
Once we were set up the kids were begging for food so they had a huge stack of pancakes and we headed to the beach area. Swimming without a lifeguard present was prohibited so we headed up a short trail to the view of the Mountain Hotel from the early 1900s. The journey there was difficult for the people fortunate enough to stay there but they were rewarded with spectacular views of the Hudson River Valley.
According to the information there, guests were awoken at sunrise to take in the view. I thought about hiking up there the next morning but with the strict bear warnings in the park, I was too chicken to go solo. It will have to be added to my bucket list with Dave.
The kids looked at the view for all of 3.5 seconds and started to play, so we decided to head to the playground. They played for almost 2 hours! I guess the car ride was annoying for them too! I'm not sure what they were playing but I heard horrible British accents in the production of a new science fiction movie I believe. They even acted out the deleted scenes and bloopers!
By the time they finished playing the sun was dropping behind the mountain so we sat and watched for a wonderful end to our day.
Until we got back to our campsite and Brayden couldn't find his glasses. I did mention he is responsibility-challenged. Luckily for him, Laney remembered seeing them at the top of the mountain so we raced back up there and grabbed them. The next time this happens, they will be duct taped to his head.









No comments:
Post a Comment