Thursday, June 14, 2018

Day 13

I had a little bit of a restless night in the hammock with trying to keep my ears open for calls from the tent. Several times I woke up in pitch black darkness listening to the night sounds. No wildlife, but I did hear coyotes way far off. While I was comfortable all night, sleeping in the hammock was much easier after backpacking 15 miles!

I woke up and decided to catch up on writing as I'd discovered we had limited 3G in the campground - yay! Without being too connected I could definitely upload entries to the blog and text Dave occasionally. Weather updates might be necessary as well as we were expecting rain for the next few days.

We planned first to head into the town this morning to check out the farmer's market. After I made a pile of pancakes we got ready and headed into town. The market was just about the smallest we'd ever seen, but we picked up some beautiful produce! The strawberries were the deepest red I have ever seen and boy were they sweet! I had to buy and extra carton because the kids ate them standing right there!



When we'd parked all the kids spotted an tiny chocolate shop that also happened to be open so of course we had to go there. The man gave all of us tiny samples of their hot chocolate and even though it was warm out it was delicious!! I bought everyone a truffle and they were gone practically before we could share. I tried the Mayan with deep dark chocolate and a kick of cayenne at the end, salted caramel for Laney of course, and mint for the others. We vowed to try to make it back for their homemade chocolate popsicles before we left the area.

We got the scoop on a few local places from the chocolate guy so we headed to one store but got sucked into a bookstore for the better part of an hour. I'd finished one of my books and was looking for another one to read before Dave joined us. I had a Dean Koontz book but was thinking I might save it for when he joins us so I don't get too spooked. We ended up with a tiny book for me, a book for Laney and a comic for Brayden.



On our way back to the campsite we stopped at the Rocky Knob overlook to check out the view. The smog had settled in quite a bit but it did still look beautiful with mountains forever. The kids and I decided to hike up the next morning to see if the view was better from the trail.


Ryan and I started lunch while listening to thunder and watch a storm roll by. Every time I looked up the storm seemed to be moving past us but the thunder was definitely getting closer. We cooked and cleaned up as fast as we could expecting a downpour at any minute. The wind was starting to whip around us so we made the kids run around and play while they still could. We were thinking it was one of those afternoon showers that only last about an hour but we weren't really sure.





Once the drops started falling all the kids and I ducked in our tent and Emily retired into hers. We read and read and played until the rain finally slowed a couple hours later.


We tried scalloped potatoes to replace Ryan's favorite baked potatoes for dinner but they were underwhelming. We're definitely missing the freshest meals in the woods! The mini lettuce we'd bought at the farmer's market however was divine!!


It was supposed to rain for the next 2 nights so we walked the whole campground tonight to continue our tradition. No crazy wildlife this time around though!

No comments:

Post a Comment