Monday, July 9, 2018

Day 35


We woke up super early this morning to be able to pack up and head south again. Today was the day we were to say goodbye to The Dunlaps so we were going to finish the miles together then head our separate ways. Once we were all packed up and all filled up with a quick breakfast we hopped in the car and made it to our first spot pretty quickly - the highest spot on the parkway. I think this is one of my favorite photos or everyone from the whole trip!


We got back on the road and headed to Waterrock Knob for our last visitor's center. The kids were anxious to turn in their junior ranger books after working on them for the past month.  It wasn't supposed to be open until 10 so we said our goodbyes to Evey and Emily. It was awesome to have them with us this year in so many ways. Having never traveled together before it could have gone completely differently so we were both glad it didn't! 














We pulled on our hiking shoes and waved goodbye as they drove away and we started up the trail. This quick 1 mile trail was to be another awesome view and another straight up hike! It was a bittersweet climb as it was our last one on the parkway. The view was familiar but we could see the Smokey Mountains again.  All along our drive this morning I saw the Mountains To Sea Trail trail head snaking in and out of the woods and we passed it along this hike too. I think we might have to really consider hiking that soon!

The night before we talked to the kids about what they wanted to do on the way home. We had a few days to play with before we needed to be home. Brayden had always asked to go to Gatlinburg the few times we'd driven through so that was to be our first stop.  The kids were also itching to get into a swimming pool or semi-warm lake so they asked to go back to Cheaha in Alabama for another night before heading home. 

As we made the turn into Elkmont campground in the Smokey Mountains we saw the "campground full" sign. I made Dave keep driving hoping there were a few spots and they hadn't changed the sign. Lucky for us the check out deadline had just happened and we got first pick of the open campsites. We were so happy to be right on the bank of Little River. It was such a lovely white noise we had to raise our voices to be heard!

After we got everything set up we hopped back into the car to head to Gatlinburg. The kids were overwhelmed by all the stores and food, and people. I have to admit I was probably more overwhelmed more than them since I didn't get anything adjustment time since leaving the woods - so many people!! 

It also was about 50 degrees hotter than it had been in the mountains. About every 50 yards we ducked into a fudge shop to cool off and try some samples. I found a brewery after a little while so we slipped in there for some frickles, soft pretzels, and sandwiches. We reluctantly walked back outside to the heat searching for some ice cream. 

Now we were stuffed and I was tired of people and stuff everywhere so we hopped back in the car in search of ice and an easy breakfast for a quick departure in the morning.  When we are wanting to get on the road early it's no fun to have to cook and do dishes so I grabbed a protein shake for me and a danish for everyone else.

Once we made it back to the campsite it was challenge time.  The girls wanted to go walk around in the water and they challenged Dave to do the same. And that was just the beginning.  This water was so cold but they still all walked out to a rock which brought the water to the bottom of their shorts. Dave challenged them to walk out further then Ryan challenged them to dunk up to their shoulders. There was a lot of psyching up and screaming! Last Laney challenged everyone to dunk their heads and that was the end. There was no way Dave was going any further!

We started our last fire of the trip when it started to become dark while the kids snacked. How in the world they were hungry already I have no idea. Dave and I shared a few beers and I read before we all got tucked in our sleeping bags for the night. Another bonus of sleeping next to the relaxing river - no ear plugs needed!



No comments:

Post a Comment