Monday, July 22, 2019

Day 11

Everyone was still snoozing when I woke up so I snuck out of the tent to write. My laptop battery died pretty quickly so I was forced to sit in the car to charge and write. Today we would be leaving Paso Picacho after becoming so comfortable here. Once the Ryan and Brayden woke up they helped pack up and Brayden was cooking breakfast in no time.


We enjoyed the morning having a chilly breakfast together before we helped Grammie finish readying her RV to leave. We would be spending a few days at different spots because she wasn't interested in being close to L.A. as she'd just been there with Riley, another grandkid. We would meet back up once my brother Chris and his kids arrived in a couple days.

We hugged and promised to be safe as we parted ways and got on the road. The majority of our journey today was backroads so I was looking forward to the small towns and the views. As we passed through Julian the kids couldn't resist stopping for a "world famous" pie! All our mouths started watering as we got out of the car as you could smell the cinnamon and apples in the parking lot!

Once we all decided on a pie we dropped off post cards at the post office and aimed the car north. Laney made sure to text Grammie picture evidence of our latest stop. I'm not sure she'll be welcome back into the RV when we meet up! The drive was winding and beautiful just like I'd expected.






Today was one of the days the kids dread as it was time for car maintenance. We've already been 3,000 miles! We killed two birds with one stone by choosing to stop at Walmart a little ways past our campground to resupply, get the tires rotated, and get an oil change. They dread the car part because of the waiting and I dread the resupply part because I'm not a mom that remotely enjoys grocery shopping much less with kids in tow! They were pretty helpful though - especially with adding not-on-my-list things to the cart - and by the time we were finished my car was too!


We were back into hot summer weather so our next spot I'd planned at a lake for us to get some relief and swim. We had a picnic lunch in the shade of our one tree and set up tents so we could get to the important business of swimming. The lake was just a short drive from our campsite and the water felt divine! The view was lovely too. Their heads are in there somewhere!


The water was pretty chilly when we made it deep enough to stand up so I of course got cold quick. The kids played some weird sand game while I watched from the warmth of the beach. I love how quickly you dry in the southwestern heat! I tried to get back in after awhile but decided instead to find some shade. Laney came along with me as she wasn't enjoying the game all that much anyway. She tried to beat me at rummy but to no avail. She's only been seriously playing for one day so I'm sure she'll slaughter me by the end of the trip!

When the other two joined us they called Dave to fill him in on the adventures of the last few days. I love to listen to see what parts they loved or thought were funny. I'm sure it's difficult for him sometimes to hear all the fun we're having. Or all the time.

The sun was getting low in the sky so we zipped back to our campsite to cook dinner. Grammie had given me the shrimp creole leftovers so I was excited have an easy dinner and to eat a yummy dinner! I had to put away the french bread at some point so the kids would have room for the pie they forgot about. And speaking of the world-famous pie - it was absolutely delicious! Brayden finished his before I even sat down and the girls both gave it two thumbs up.



After the kids had finished all the dishes we walked the half of pie that was left to our neighbors to see if they wanted to finish it. Their eyes lit up when we said it was from Julian because they already knew what it was famous for.



With very full bellies we played some games as I got things packed up a little and ready for the next day. Skip Bo score so far this trip - Jen (2), Brayden (1), Laney (0), Ryan (0). Ryan is usually our ace at this game - she was not happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment