Monday, August 11, 2014

Day 21

I woke for the sunrise this morning in 52 degree weather!  I was prepared for the trip with cool weather clothes so that part isn't a problem.  What has surprise me is the temperature swing!  Within 2 hours I will have peeled off all my layers back down to a tank top in an 80 degree day!  I do have to admit sleeping bundled in a tent in this weather is wonderful though.

Each morning as I walked down to the cliff, there were bikes line up along the path with the same idea, but this morning there weren't any so I smiled big as I thought I might have the spot to myself this morning.  I guess everyone walked like me as I ended up sharing it with more people than ever this day!




Today we were planning on leaving the park as early as we could get moving, so once the kids started moving I cooked some oatmeal and we packed up.  The kids tried their best to eek in one last game of camp ball in between my requests so we ended up letting them have 15 extra minutes to play while I showed Grammie my sunrise cliff spot.  Here is the championship camp ball team!




We said our goodbyes to the Cadenas family and I gave a speech to the kids regarding their behavior.  They all seemed pretty receptive and we hopped in the car headed even further north.  We made a quick stock up grocery stop along the way.

As we arrived to the area around the state park, we realized we were really in some of the more remote area of Maine.  There were very few stores or gas stations or anything really.  It appeared this would be our most primitive camping of the trip.  We quickly set up the campsite and headed with Grammie to find her cabin in the woods.  We were suprised to find out she didn't even have a television, but they did have wifi?  Ryan picked out a movie from the shelf to watch on Grammie's laptop later that night.

Next up was the search for food.  Grammie asked the office where we should go and she told us there was counter service at the gas station up the road.  Oh my.  We headed that way and saw a sign for a cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner so we pulled in but found out it was no longer in business.  The lady there told us about another place 6 miles up the road or our other choices were 45 minutes the other way. We headed for the shorter stop and found an ice cream shop serving a whole long list of fried food.  Oy.

By the time we finished, we decided showers for everyone and an early night was a good idea so we headed back to the campground and split up for the night.  After I had a chance to put away the groceries and get organized, we headed to the showers up the road.  The kids had just started playing on the playground when the rain started so we headed to the tent to stay dry and work on their travel journals.  It seems like 3 months since our time in the Smoky Mountains, so the kids enjoyed writing, drawing and adding photos to their pages.

As the rain stopped, we attempted to start a fire for marshmallows, but it seems my torch lighter was out of fuel so we were out of luck.  We loaded all the firewood back into my car to keep it dry in case of rain and climbed back into the tent for some reading before bed.  I think I may have been asleep before the kids tonight!

Quote of the Day - "We can get ice cream, right momma?" by Ryan with a big smile and an attempt at batting her eyelashes that really did not work at all.

Day 21 - Goodbyes and drives

No comments:

Post a Comment