Friday, August 22, 2014

Day 33


I peeked out the window in the morning and it still appeared to be pretty dark even though it was 5:30am. At least it wasn't raining!  I grabbed my camera and headed for the beach.  The streets were really flooded now so it took some unique steps to get around it all.

The beach sand was still soaked from all the rain, but it was beautiful - stretching for miles.  I could see why it still seemed so dark as there were some very low, thick clouds hovering down by the horizon.  This sunrise should be interesting and I couldn't believe I had it all to myself here!




Well, I did share it a little with these guys but they were more interested in their breakfast.


We had 10:00am ferry reservations to head back to the mainland so the kids didn't really get to see a thing except for the game room at the lodge and a gift shop.  I'll definitely have this place on my "need a few days here" list for the future.

Our Trader Joe's breakfast!



The morning was clear and beautiful as we loaded onto the ferry so we headed to the sun deck to watch the island disappear.  The kids were enjoying this ferry ride even more as we got to explore and watch the water as I'd imagined they would.  We grabbed some snacks and travel games from the car and headed to the inside passenger area to play the 2 hours away.




For those "Cards Against Humanity" or "Things" players out there with kids, there is kids version mine had a blast with - "Loaded Questions".  Once they got the hang of not really making their answers obviously theirs, the guessing became very tricky!  Grandpa Scott comes through again with a couple other travel games as well.  We are definitely a game-addicted family!


We said goodbye to the ferry guys (me not so gracefully by mistaking the mens bathroom door for the stairs - ack!) and found our campground within a few hours.  The kids were excited to swim and get some relief from the heat (how long does it take to acclimate back to southern temps??) so we headed to the beach. The waves were brutal knocking us all down in knee deep water.  The kids loved every minute of it!






After a little while I headed back up to the beach and hung out with this guy.  I do realize he wasn't really wanting to hang out with me - more like wanting a hand out.  He did pose well though.



We headed back to the campsite and just as I was getting food out for dinner we heard the familiar sound of thunder in the distance.  Brayden helped me load everything back into the car and we ate in the tent.  I'm not sure if what we'd escaped in Ocracoke had followed us here or we were just lucky.

It was nice to read a whole bunch of chapters tonight though and we were put to sleep once again with the sounds of rain on our ultrathin roof.

1 comment:

  1. So the kids are finding out the Atlantic Ocean is a bit rougher than the gulf, huh. And from what I remember (which is admittedly little) quite a bit colder. Glad you all got a chance to swim in it and give the kids an appreciation of how different they can be. Tell the kids Austin is doing OK with grandpa but keeps asking me when they are coming home cause Grandpa doesn't play with him as well as they do. I assume David is ther now and hopefully giving mom a little break from 24/7 with the kids. See you in few days!

    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete