Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 20


Day 20

We were up early again packing and getting ready to leave Rocky Mountain National Park.  We stopped by our visitor center to see the museum about the mountains then we of course had to get junior ranger badges!






We said goodbye to the Colorado River and the Rocky Mountains.  We'd been following the path of the river for at least a week saying goodbye each time we crossed it, but this time was definitely the last.





 He looks kinda tired of me taking pictures of him doesn't he?  You'd be surprised after seeing this one that he asks me all day long to "get this one".

We drove about an hour to pick up pictures and some snacks at Walmart then took a break at a fun playground.





 I happened to see a used bookstore on the way, so we had to stop there as well.  The kids each found some good books and I found some great books for the kids in my classroom as well.  While I was paying, the store owner said I had "the most well-behaved kids and I see a lot of them in here."  It's always nice to hear that especially in the middle of a long trip being the solo parent of three.

We continued on toward our next destination while finishing the "Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone" audio book as well as "My Father's Dragon".  You'd think I would have learned my lessons about gps directions and google maps after our last drive.  I knew we were on the correct path because (1) we were headed east and (2) I kept seeing signs for the main city nearby with the mileage countdown.  Until the gps had me turn onto a dirt road.  Then another.  Then another.  And yet another.  There were no signs for state parks and I was in the middle of private prairie grassland and farms.  The last turn was supposed to be my final destination and at last I saw the familiar brown park sign.  It was a self-pay box for the daily parking pass so I filled it out and put it in my windsheild and kept driving down the road.  Until the end.  This place was only a day-use area portion on the south side of the park.  Ugh.

Luckily, there was a map at the self-pay station so we headed back there.  Another entrance was only about 2 miles away continuing down the county dirt roads. I knew we weren't too far off because I could see the big lake we were supposed to camp close to and be able to swim in.  It was 96 degrees, by the way.  We finally made it to our site, set up, and headed down to the water.  Of course there was a large rain cloud on the way, so we had to make it down there quick.  We were welcomed at the shoreline by what seemed like quicksand.  The retreating shore water of the lake had left the mud bottom exposed and we just happened to be walking in it.  We all lost our shoes in it at one point just trying to get to dry land.  We were mud-covered up to our knees.  Definitely not the beach we're used to!

Laney and Brayden loved it though.  After washing off our shoes and feet as best we could, Brayden began throwing mud bombs and Laney began making her signature mud drip castles.  Ryan and I hung out on the beach covered in towels to protect us from the annoying little biting flies.  Before too long, the rain began and we were forced to run back up to the campsite and rinse everyone off.  This was probably the windiest storm yet but only 20 minutes long.  If we hadn't been inside the tent weighting it down I'm not so sure it would still be staked down.  I suppose I should start inspecting Ryan's staking work from now on!

At least the rainstorm was brief.  After a delicious dinner of pizza and fruit, we headed up to the comfort station to complete our last chance at laundry for 8 days.  The kids inspected the dead bugs and moths, played some strange capturing game as I did the dishes, then we read the rest of Charlotte's Web.  I probably should've warned them that I always cry at the end.  Oh well, such a good book.

Day 20: Hot Windy Sinking Shores

No comments:

Post a Comment