Within 2 minutes, the walls of the tent were noisily popping in and out. The rainfly was fluttering so violently I thought it was just going to fly off at any moment. This went on for 2 solid hours. The campground host had just talked to me earlier in the day about storms and mentioned the fact that they have a land line in case the sheriff's office needs to call to warn about a storm. After about an hour, I finally had to sit up and pull up facebook to keep my mind off listening for the train sound of a tornado. And just has quick as it came, it left. The crickets started chirping again, so I knew it was okay to fall back asleep. Unbelievably the kids slept through the entire thing. They actually slept until 9am!
Shortly after breakfast we said goodbye to Lake Scott State Park and headed further east. We stopped just short of our campground to check out Mushroom Rocks. The kids of course loved climbing all over them and throwing rocks off the top.
Once we got set up at the campground we immediately headed toward water. We were so thankful we could swim today! The water was about 80 degrees so it was very refreshing with the breeze and 97 degree heat. The kids created a rock band and sang to me. Watch for their debut songs "I'm a person" and "I love the outside" coming to stores near you.
There were serious light saber battles as I watched and photographed the sunset. All in all a pretty calm end to a stressful beginning!
Day 22 - wind and calm.
It's amazing how they can sleep thru the turbulence isn't it. School's gonna be really mundane when they get back here after their real world education. Great job!
ReplyDeleteHope you get some sleep tonight. Love reading your updates each day!
ReplyDelete